They’ve done it again! Starboard SUP Dream Team riders Michael Booth (Aus) and Fiona Wylde (USA) have taken another double 1st place podium at the weekend’s EuroTour event ~ 2019 Agios Nikolaos on SUP Race.
The 13th stop of the EuroTour took place in Agios Nikolaos, Crete from June 22-23rd. On its fifth edition, and the third one with EuroTour this has become one of the true classics and most beloved stops all season.
After completing the race briefing on Saturday afternoon the competition went underway with the Women’s race at 4pm, with the Men following 10mins later. In a repeat of last weekends results, Starboard team riders Australia’s Michael Booth (Starboard), and USA’s Fiona Wylde (Starboard) claimed top honours after both being in the lead their entire races.
Agios Nikolaos on SUP LD Race winners Fiona Wylde and Michael Booth | PC: SUPRacer.com
For the woman’s race, Fiona Wylde (Starboard) didn’t have an easy victory as Germany’s powerhouse and several times EuroTour champion Sonni Honscheid (Starboard) fought all the way and kept a very fast pace the entire race. Finally, Fiona made the best out of the technical downwind in the lake, proving why she’s regarded as the best in the sport when the wind turns on.
Fiona is ecstatic over her latest result; “I am over the moon with excitement! Yesterday I won my 4th Euro Tour win at Agios Nikolaos SUP race in Crete and am now leading the SUP Euro Tour Rankings!”
In the Men’s race, and besides his dominance this summer that showed him climb to the top of the rankings again (on his way to a straight third consecutive EuroTour title) , Australian’s Michael Booth (Starboard) did not have an easy win with a pack of very hungry racers keeping him in check until the final upwind leg, where Boothy again asserted his dominance coming away with a strong win.
Boothy is equally pleased to wrap up the European summer of SUP with a victory; “Great way to finish off the Tour. I’m super stoked and happy to be heading home!”
Watch the 2019 Agios Nikolaos on SUP Race recap video (6min 25sec)
Elite Women’s Race Result from 2019 Agios Nikolaos on SUP (15km Long Distance Course)
1. Fiona Wylde USA 01:31’52″511 (Starboard)
2. Sonni Honscheid Germany 01:33’07″597 (Starboard)
3. Chazot Amandine France 01:35’01″092
4. Caterina Stenta Italy 01:43’30″412
5. Susanne Lier Germany 01:45’22″731
6. Noelani Sach Germany 01:48’25″321
7. Νάνσυ Καραϊνδρου Greece 01:49’19″850
8. Stephanie Libzon Israel 01:54’07″083
9. Dori Bathori Greece 02:00’56″349
10. Petra Pyffrader Austria 02:06’47″152
Elite Men’s Race Result from 2019 Agios Nikolaos on SUP (15km Long Distance Course)
1. Michael Booth Australia 01:20’09″119 (Starboard)
2. Vinnicius Martins Brazil 01:21’34″567
3. Martin Vitry France 01:21’45″726
4. Ty Judson Australia 01:21’52″683
5. Arthur Arutkin France 01:21’56″861
6. Noic Garioud New Caledonia 01:22’00″017
7. Enzo Bennett Tahiti 01:22’13″369
8. Tom Auber France 01:25’27″854
9. Leo Nika Italy 01:25’29″559 (Starboard)
10. Ludovic Teulade France 01:26’44″536
See more results at EuroTourSUP.com
The award ceremony followed shortly after the racing with a beautiful afternoon in the warm European sun right on the lake’s edge. Huge props to Mikhalis and his entire team for putting on a fantastic event and making everyone’s feel right at home for one of the athlete’s favourite stops for sure.
Picture Credits: Georgia Schofield & Laurent Nevarez / The Euro Tour