Sunshine and blue skies greeted SUP racers from across Europe at the SUP EuroTour’s first event of 2022 in Bari, Italy. It was an epic day of racing for the Bigeye SUP Racein the azure blue waters, which also had some texture to it, which made things quite interesting. There were a ton of orange cone noses on the water, but it was Israeli rider Liran Machlev and Italian Dream Team rider Leo Nika taking top positions for Starboardm, placing 3rd and 4th respectively after a tight sprint finish at the line.
The woman race had one name all the way, Spanish racer Duno Gordillo that broke the ultra-talented 16yr old Cecilia Pampinella of Italy.
Further adrift was the very experienced Laura Quetglas in 3rd place. Special mention goes out to the Juniors Velia Pisanelli & Laura Nitti for closing out the top 5 in the women’s race.
2022 BigEye SUP Race – Top 10 Womens Results:
- Duna Gordillo 🇪🇸@nspsurfnsup
- Cecilia Pampinella 🇮🇹 @mistralsup
- Laura Quetglas 🇪🇸 @nspsurfnsup
- Velia Pisanelli 🇮🇹 @onesup
- Laura Nitti 🇮🇹 @starboardsup
- Claudia Postiglione 🇮🇹 @onesup
- Laura Dal Pont 🇮🇹 @starboardsup
- Sveva Sabato 🇮🇹 @onesup
- Anna Occhiogrosso 🇮🇹 @starboardsup
- Bianca Scarangella 🇮🇹 @starboardsup
In the men’s race, it was the super strong Hungarian Bruno Hasulyo who dominated the field from the first buoy to take home an uncontested win. The race for silver was frantic and the local hero Davide Alpino did everyone proud. Liran Machlev from Israel look solid all race for to come home in 3rd. Closing out the Top 5 were the very experienced Leo Nica from Italy & Filippo Mercuriali.
I was a nice one in Bari, Italy today ~ a great warming up for the season! Stoked with my 4th place”
– Leo Nika
2022 BigEye SUP Race – Top 10 MenResults:
- Bruno Hasulyo 🇭🇺 @xbionic
- Davide Alpino 🇮🇹 @starboardsup
- Liran Machlev 🇮🇱@starboardsup
- Leo Nika 🇮🇹 @starboardsup
- Filippo Mercuriali 🇮🇹 @starboardsup
- Fernando Perez 🇪🇸@nspsurfnsup
- Aaron Sanchez 🇪🇸 @starboardsup
- Tommaso Pampinella 🇮🇹 @jpaustralia
- Enrique Hurtado 🇪🇸 @nspsurfnsup
- Nicolo Vincenzo 🇮🇹 @starboardsup
A special mention must go out to all the Junior talent that came from all over Italy, especially all the athletes from BigEye – Sup & Surf BARI club who had a very impressive showing. The youngest ever competitor to finish the Elite Race at 11yrs old and the youngest one in the afternoon kids race was only 8yrs old.
Thank all the organizers at BigEye – Sup & Surf BARI Lido and Trampolino & all other sponsors for their support in conducting a very successful event and the return in full force to EuroTour to Italy after a 6-year hiatus ~ and to Anna, Giovanni & the countless volunteers for the big effort.
This press release first appeared on the EuroTour SUP website.
All photo credits: Georgias Schofield for EuroTour SUP.